Selling Power Interview with Dave Stein discussing approaches to sales training. His company, ES Research, helps sales management and corporate training organizations evaluate, select and implement sales training and productivity improvement programs.
Some interesting notes from the interview:
- US companies spend $4B per year on sales training
- only 20% of companies measure the effectiveness of the their sales training
- there are many different types of sales training programs and methodologies, but sales training programs are typically selected based on subjective criteria such as charisma of the training company CEO, the look of the web site, level of advertising.
Dave suggests the right approach to selecting a sales training company involves:
- perform an objective assessment of your current situation and sales challenges
- create specific training requirements and goals
- request proposals from vendors based on the requirements
I agree with Dave’s advice. Not all sales training programs are equal and not all trainers are the same. The sales training market is highly fragmented. There are a few large recognized names, which are usually tied to a specific methodology which may or may not be suitable for your company’s selling environment and goals. Beyond that there are many local trainers/consultants who have either developed their own training program based on experience or add their own flavor to the name brand training which make evaluation even more complicated.
Eliot received his B. Comm. from Carleton University and has been honored as a Top 40 Under 40 Award winner.
He co-authored Sales Recruiting 2.0, How to Find Top Performing Sales People, Fast and provides regular insights on sales team management and hiring on the Peak Sales Recruiting Blog.
Latest posts by Eliot Burdett (see all)
- B2B Sales: 7 Ways It’s Changing Fast - October 15, 2018
- Common Traits and Characteristics – Top Performing Sales Organizations - September 14, 2018
- 65 Sales Interview Questions to Ask Sales Candidates - January 14, 2018